New tools and light deburring

08 Jun 2011   buildlog   tools   empennage   horizontal-stabilizer   deburring

In order to avoid progressing too quickly and running out of things to do before I can buy more parts, I am intentionally slowing down my process on the project. I still plan on regular build sessions, they are probably just going to be scaled back a bit to around 3-4 hours a week or so.

Of course given that I’m only a bit over a week in, that’s not saying a lot anyway…In any case, today’s session started with putting together a new tool. Specifically, the DRDT-2 from ExperimentalAero arrived today. This is a serious device that weighs in at a whopping 60 pounds. I can’t wait to put it to work. It does come with some assembly required though. I’ll be building another worktable for the DRDT-2 that should put the dimpler right at the same height as the other tables. Combined with the platform that fits around it, it should make working with dimpling skins much easier.


After assembling the new tool, I started deburring the holes on the smaller parts of the horizontal stabilizer skeleton. After getting through a couple of the outboard hinge brackets, I discovered a couple of the holes on one of the brackets had been missed while final drilling them, so they got hooked back up to the appropriate place on the spar and drilled.


All said, I got all the outboard hinges deburred and got through about half the main ribs. Not a lot of progress, but progress nonetheless.

Build hours status

Entry Type Hours this session Total hours to date
Total hours 0.5 15.25
Parts worked on
 horizontal stabilizer 0.5 12.75
Work Types
 deburring 0.5 4.5
 nitehawk 0.5 15.25